{'Mentally it's killing me': Alex de Minaur on brink of ATP Finals elimination after third-set meltdown
Alex de Minaur's aspirations of advancing to the ATP Finals semi-finals are dangling by a slender margin after a heartbreaking three-set loss to Italian opponent Lorenzo Musetti.
Crushing Defeat in Turin
The seventh-ranked player succumbed 7-5 3-6 7-5 after being unable to close out the match, allowing the Italian to remain in the event and now leaving the Australian requiring to convincingly beat Taylor Fritz in his third and final group match to reach the semi-finals.
Psychological Challenges Threaten Career
But confronting Fritz in two days' time is the least of de Minaur's pressing worries as the Sydney native concedes he must address the psychological barriers that risk undermining his career.
A unsuccessful competitor of all six of his grand slam quarter-final appearances, the 26-year-old was unable to disguise his anguish after experiencing yet another high-stakes near miss with his tournament fate in his own hands.
"I don't know how many times I can handle a loss like this one," de Minaur said in Turin. "I just have to talk to my team and try to sort out these problems because these are challenges that can't keep happening."
Career Crossroads
"I mean, if I really want to be serious about taking the next step in my career, these contests, I must win them. I just can't. It feels like I've been defeated in a lot of them this year. Most importantly, it's getting to a point where mentally it's destroying me."
Describing his feelings as "very bleak", de Minaur bemoaned a series of third-set slip-ups in 2025 and said he must discover methods to win the tight encounters.
Recent Disappointments
The top-ranked Australian's streak of crushing losses include:
- Recent 6-3 4-6 7-6 (7-5) result against Alexander Bublik at the Paris Masters
- Tightly-fought US Open quarter-final loss to Felix Auger-Aliassime
- Final four in Monte Carlo against Musetti
- Wasted two-set lead against Bublik at the French Open
- Defeated in a third-set tiebreaker to Andrey Rublev in the Doha semi-finals
"I keep putting everything into these matches," de Minaur commented. "When the result's not there, it's difficult to keep persevering."
Urgent Resolution Needed
"It's something that if it doesn't get sorted, it's going to eat me alive. I need to get it sorted sooner rather than later."
Forthcoming Test
De Minaur and Fritz are tied at five wins each in previous encounters, though the American world No 6 emerged victorious in their meeting in this showpiece event last year.
The Australian's chances remain flickering after Fritz suffered a 6-7 (2-7) 7-5 6-3 defeat to Carlos Alcaraz that guaranteed the Spaniard would advance to the semi-finals as the victor of the Jimmy Connors group.
Championship Consequences
The world No 2's win, having already knocked over de Minaur, put Alcaraz a single victory away of securing the season-ending top ranking from Jannik Sinner.
Regardless if he is defeated by Musetti in his final group match, Alcaraz will reclaim the world No 1 ranking unless Sinner, who beat Auger-Aliassime in his opener on Monday, goes undefeated to retain his ATP Finals title.
"I'll attempt not to think about it," commented Alcaraz. "This will represent a extremely important match for me. I will try not to let the nerves play a negative role in the match. I will concentrate on my objectives, about performing much better than today."